Friday, April 29, 2011

Playing Detective

I think the office is haunted.

The working title for my childrens book is Toe Tag You're It!  It's a murder mystery set on an elementary school's playground with a Sam Spade like fourth grade detective leading the investigation.  No hookers or bookies because that's just creepy and possibly a flag for law enforcement.  We're not anti-law enforcement around here, they've been quite polite when chasing me out of parks and playgrounds.  Working on the art program requires me to wander around parks and playgrounds with a camera and the untrusting think me perverted.  Yeah yeah yeah I need a vicious dog to chase the tykes and moms back to their vans and out of my shots, but a frothing dog is tough to find and harder to train.  I don't even want to get into what happens to the upholstery.

Norma, sweet Norma is working in her garden and not with me right now.  High-strung artsy folk and their moods.  I wish I could lure her out with a carrot, but right now I'm the mule.  You know what's ironic? I used to think my former bosses were asses.

The haunted thing?  Last night I went into the bathroom, lit a candle and called forth Mary Worth.  I didn't see her appear, but this morning there was toothpaste all over the mirror.  Any other explanation?  I think not and then there've been mysterious fires.  I started the one and the second one I started too, but the third started  itself with little more than a match.  I'm not afraid and I will never give up lighting with candles and reflectors.

I'm moving on to working with fog.  I bought a fog machine that spews 1200 cubic yards of fog every 30 seconds and you know there's fun in that.  But what?  But what?!  Perhaps a card and you know what that means.  Yeah baby.

2 comments:

  1. There must be a secret or at least a trick to the parks and playgrounds access without tripping alarms. On the other hand, I recall snapping a shot of darling kidlets in Toronto, out on a field trip, and having all sorts of guardage descend on me and quickly, too. NO, No and more no is essentially what they said. 'gainst the law in Canada, to take pictures of the kids.

    I accepted the sense this made.

    Doesn't Norma know any children? Can't she fill you in on their probable antics? Hm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booda, here's the real scoop: I don't want the kids or their parents in the shot. I'm shooting locations and backgrounds for an animator to draw kids on. Using a tripod seems to work as a get out of jail free card.

    ReplyDelete