Friday, April 15, 2011

Learning Which Itch to Scratch

Hi, come on in.  It's so nice of you to drop by my humble blog.

Yea or nay on folksy?  I was watching Deliverance when a sudden yearning for homemade folksy fun filled my thoughts.  Please vote in your comments.

So many of you ask about my creative process.  It's usually phrased something like “They know you're out, right?" so I'll assume it's about my creative process.  Simple, I make it up as I go along. I sit down, without a clue, let my mind go completely blank and override spell check.  Pretty cool, huh?  The less I think the better I work.  Thinking has killed a lot of great ideas around here and I'm working to make sure that never happens again.

Beer helps. 

There are only so many hours a day I can drag pencil across paper.  Did you know the pencil really isn't writing on the paper?   The texture of the paper is rubbing words from the pencil.  So needy is paper to be filled up by thoughts, it will rub a poor pencil down to nothing given the chance. I've been lucky enough to see that happen twice this week.  A collaboration between pencil, paper and me that's resulted in some interesting moments.  Like realizing the pencil isn't really writing on the paper.

Yes, the Timpkins books will contain some of her poetry.  I love her poetry, but I'm not having a lot of success getting any more from her.  I think she wants to see me publish what I have of hers now before adding more to the workload.  She's a thinker she is.  I've given myself six more weeks to have her book ready to show someone.  There's a lot of shooting to be done.  A lot of shooting.

Remember to vote.



2 comments:

  1. It really depends on what you think is folksy. I mean voting til I know for a fact. Like if this ENTIRE blog is folksy, in your opinion, them I'm really good with it.

    If it dons gingham ribbons and shoves pies in my face, I vote no. I really don't care who likes gingham and ducks in the windows above their kitchen sinks, but it's not me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booda, gingham pasties with yellow rubber ducks on the tassels flying willy nilly-maybe. We're not going for Norman Rockwell at Jotsalot's World Headquarters and we're not dipping our thoughts into the steamy hot tubs of beret wearing co-eds either.

    Have you watched Deliverance recently?

    ReplyDelete