Friday, March 4, 2011

Love, Technically Speaking

I love the familiar and by familiar I mean low tech and by low tech I mean pencil.  Pencils respect my giant intellect and do exactly what I want them to do with unquestioning awe.  They never question my spelling with squiggly red lines or try to finish my words.  Oh yeah,  Auto Spell reminds me of the very first dirty joke I brought home from grade school

A:  What word begins with f and ends with u-c-k?
B:  I don't know.
A:  Firetruck.

Yep, that one wowwed the dinner table and I wasn't even trying to use it as a verb.  Nor was I trying to use it as a verb all last week when I was trying to print landscape and my computer wouldn't let me.  But the superiority of pencils over computers isn't really what I learned last week.  I've known that for years.  It's the superiority of creativity over machine.

I love the wonder of making thoughts appear.  I'm amazed how scratching words across paper can create something that makes me laugh for days or how painting chemicals on an ordinary sheet of paper lets it capture light and I can hand that piece of paper to anyone, at any time, and they can see that light and I can say, "This moment of light was important to me and I want to share it with you." 

I think I just wrote the Jotsalot Media creed.  Odd, I meant to ask whether you would like to hold a real book or an ebook and I just answered my own question.

6 comments:

  1. Great arrival-at. I'd say that some would say (and these are not only some I know but some I might actually side with) that the machine and creativity do not exclude each other.

    Some ebooks, I think, will be fantastic. I'd still rather hold a real book, but if the ebook had all sorts of pop-up stuffery, I'd take that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. booda baby: I'm not so sure I can't have it both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on!!! I'm right there with ya and you said it perfectly!!!

    ReplyDelete