Saturday, July 27, 2019

The Devil's Lawn

I've lived my life like a lawn ornament, relying on people and hunches to move me around hoping one of them will put me where I want to be doing what I want. It's not the most empowered lifestyle what with the dog peeing on me all the time and me always waiting to be three feet from wherever I am, but it does relieve me of responsibility.

I'm pretty sure Druids invented lawn ornaments. It makes sense for a lapsed Druid to cast a likeness of himself and stick it front of a bush so the neighbors won't gossip. And during football season--were the Druids big football watchers? probably not, but you know they watched and bet on something--imagine how handy a stand-in at church could be. Don't even get me started on having a doppelganger to attend your cousin's nephew's christening. Maybe, the Druids were visionaries to enhance their lives with lawn ornaments, but life for the ornaments--gnome, fawn, or mushroom--it is pretty much the same.

And I'm stuck working the lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment